Art and Creativity
"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." Scott Adams
At Chapelford, we engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills required to experiment, invent and create their own works of art. We teach art in a cross curricular way so that the children are immersed in the culture and vocabulary of each topic. Each year group focusses on a specific artist each half term which spans a range of cultures, periods and crafts. This allows the children to know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
At Chapelford our children will:
- produce creative work, explore their ideas and record their experiences.
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture, collage, printing, digital art and textiles
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
- Year 1+ Year 2 Skills Progression.pdf
- Year 3 +Year 4 Skills Progression.pdf
- Year 5 + Year 6 Skills Progression.pdf
- School LTP.pdf
Year 1 "We painted pictures like Monet."
Year 3 "We made our own patterned paper by printing like William Morris."
Year 6 "I like it when we look at paintings that artists have done and ask questions about them like when we looked at Felix Nussbaum's painting and used the colours and themes to work out that it was about the holocaust."
Year 2 "I liked making shells with the clay for our Christmas decorations."
Year 5 "I like learning different things like painting and collage. I enjoyed when we shaped paper in different ways to make our waterfall collages."